Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Day 8

After the linguistic deluge of the past several days, The Notebook quieted down a bit. We asked Weather Inc to chill out Seattle for us, and they delivered. Still, a few crazy people braved the frostbitten little toesies and hit the circuit. “We are braving the elements with our 6 little girls!!! Are we silly or what?? We have 2 Speedy Gonzales, 2 medium, and 2 slow pokes! Eventually we will get there.” We might have found our media hook because we now have the first official evidence of a talking and quite literate dog, “I love this place. It’s where I know the world. It lives in my dreams. And I sleep a lot. – Geoffrey the Poodle”.

Perhaps Geoffrey translates Croatian, which is what this might be, “Ej, za Bosamsvraju – pozdrav svima. Necete valjda zamjeriti sto sam zapravo iz. Purger-town Zagreb?! Drz’te se I nedy da vam ikad ova kultura uzima vasu dusu. Cao. Stef.”

There seems to be a debate raging among East Coast ex-pats in Seattle about whether or not the locals are actually friendly or just passive aggressive. Turns out that it might be a bit too grand a narrative one way or the other. DS contributes that some people in Seattle are downright mean, “I’m here from W. Seattle – been walking here for a week now & may I point out that very few people smile, say hi or… very unlike W.S. – yes, I know – just stay in W.S. if I don’t like it, but still it seems strange that people are not more outgoing in such a beautiful place.” We also recognize this problem at the Lake and have been campaigning for quite some time to have all of the trees (except the enormous flowering tree at about 69th on the east side) turned into large bottles of Belgian ale. At the very least, each day the temperature reaches over 80 degrees, the city of Seattle should suspend its draconian regulations on drinking and/or urinating in public. We have heard they do this in New Orleans, where people are very friendly, according to the videos. The point is: just a little bit of good policy can have a dramatic positive impact on our Way of Life.

Last but not least, we have another meatspace/avatar meetup, written in the neatest handmade print yet seen in this century. “Wow, that’s a lot of entries for 5 days. I read through everything so far. It really does feel like a blog – anonymous but much more personable. Knowing that its local, handwritten, accessible makes it all that much more intriguing. I think I’m going to add it to my favorites in my firefox browser.” We could not have said it better ourselves. Indications are that the reading/writing time ratio is shifting heavily to the former. The entry concludes, “Anyway, this is a nice diversion from filling out mind numbing applications and the ever-elusive job hunt. These fruity snacks I am finishing are running out and my fingers are freezing so, hasta la vista.” Best of luck with the job search, friend. Perhaps you can become an inkjet printer. Hold on to your dreams.

Lastly, welcome to Pi and Asterisk. Your new life begins in mere days.

No comments: